POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Fuctions : Re: Fuctions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fuctions
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 26 Jul 2000 18:22:10
Message: <397F64DC.DA199EE3@yahoo.com>
> Simon Lemieux <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> : I was thinking of getting the POV-Ray source file
> : and include it in my application so the render could be drawn for example over
> : the opengl preview... etc...
>
>   1) You can't do that. It's expressly prohibited in povlegal.txt.

Abstract for povlegal.txt:
/*
            PERMITTED MODIFICATION AND CUSTOM VERSIONS

Although the full source code for POV-Ray is distributed, there
are strict rules for the use of the source code. The source
distribution is provided to;
1) promote the porting of POV-Ray to
hardware and operating systems which the POV-Team cannot support.
2) promote experimentation and development of new features to the
core code which might eventually be incorporated into the official
version.
3) provide insight into the inner workings of the
program for educational purposes.
*/

Take a look at number 2...  development of new features to the core...  such as
instant preview...

/*
The user is granted the privilege to modify and compile the source
code for their own personal use in any fashion they see fit. What
you do with the software in your own home is your business.
*/

There!  Did I say I would do it for personnal purpose?  However, if my work is
good, I'm sure I can manage to put it at povray.org in the download section as a
plugin, patch, enhancer, etc...

>   2) You can call povray as an external program and get the image into your
> application using an API in the Windows version of povray. Moray uses this
> technique.

I wont...  I'd like my program to be fully independant, don't need any other
installation, except OpenGL drivers for accel, etc...

Next time, read more carefully!

Thanks,
	Simon